By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Friday, February 10, 2012

Open Shop

SONG : It Takes Two by Rob Base

I wish I could say todays blog is once again delivered on a Friday morning and not a Thursday Night, because I've been busy with the three kids, or working like a titan trying to get my little shop off the ground. But no. Thanks to my friend Anne, I've been sucked in and enthralled on Pinterest. People "pin" things they find "interest"ing onto a cyber board. The architecture, ideas and creativity and wisdom are boundless.  It's inspiring, awe-striking, (if you'll allow that to be a word), it's mind stretching how creative and cool people are.

It's like entering a dream. Boy, I love to dream.

I was addicted the second I signed on. And I can't go on at all if I want to do anything else that hour, like remember to pick my son up at the bus stop, or take the three year old out of the tub. So, I can't do it at all (during the week at least), I'll try to be a weekend warrior. But I encourage you too give it a look-see. You will regret it. Wink, wink.

Back to my little shop. I am thinking of offering kids classes two at a time. So that one group takes an acting class while another is in the kitchen learning about great food and fun treats, then the groups switch. The idea is that as a mom, I'm dropping off,  I barely get back in the car before I need to turn around again and pick up. I really would like to have more time to do something, anything, while my child is having all the fun, and support local entrepreneurs. As a business owner, I only want to hire the best-professional teachers/talent, with as much passion for their craft as I have. As that teacher I need to show up and be paid well for more than one class. And as a kid I want to get to know the kids I'm with in a playful environment, instead of having an awkward 45 minutes or being stuck in the house, alone, with a babysitter. But two classes can be pricey.

So, after careful negotiation with The Garden City Community Church (and by careful negotiation I mean I brought the manager a tangerine- heehee), I am able to offer two classes cheaper for an introductory time to see if it works. Three and four year olds from 1:15-2:50pm (time for snack after nursery plus elementary pick up and turn around) and five to eight year olds (4:00- 5:45). $165 for one class or $245 for both.

Some potential slogans...
My Little Studios....Designer childcare at warehouse prices (...ha! how bad is that?)
My Little Studios...Come by! It's a bona fide playdate! (from Anna, really like.)
My Little Studios...Give your (self) kids a break!

My website is not up because I've been teaching, cooking dinners, picking up, dropping off, changing diapers, feeding baby, doing laundry, showering, food shopping, visiting my mom, working out... (ok, really I've been Pinteresting), but I would love to know what you all think about a two-fer?

Let me know!! and oh yeah...Happy Pinning!!

Please leave a comment here. I'll love you. Plus, as if you needed another bonus, if you post anonymous no one has to know. Thanks!

1 comment:

Cara Jean said...

I'm finally getting around to catching up on your blog, and may I say, you are amazing girl! I love the way you write (like we're chatting over tea-well wine but we can pretend), what you have to say (what most of us are thinking and self judge too much to express), and that you lay it all out there with no apologies. Reading these have made me laugh out loud and my eyes well up with tears. You are immensely talented and I'm so proud to know you. You have created an incredible role model for those boys of yours and I sincerely wish you the best! You rock, mama! Xoxo
Now, on to reading Joone... ;)