By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Thursday, February 20, 2014

"Someone will babe, someone always will"

One moment chewing a straw while crushing a can of Fanta
(50" of solid truth)
Song: Umbrella- Rihanna
Old Spice Sprayed a Man of My Son, babe


I was upset about something I did. Something so critical and shamefully disappointing- I cannot remember it now-less than a month later...

I do remember rummaging through the den, the back entry cubby holes, and rifling through jacket pockets talking to myself, "Ugh, man, I can't believe I did that..." "How could I have..."

When my 8 year old started helping me out with the thing. And by helping me out I mean he stood close by and watched my frenetic bustling. I exhausted the space and moved into the kitchen. I guess I lost something. I cannot remember why I feel like I spoke out of turn and not lost something but am positive my actions were about finding something. I am prone to loss.

Colbert (8), my oldest light-hearted son, joined me again. Then propping himself up on a steel swivel stool, he set himself up to set me straight. His gentle voice consoled me with his delivery yet it was forceful in its wisdom. Without a trace of preaching, he simply wanted to make his mom feel better- to help me down from the latest hook I'd hung my self-worth on. Ugh, not his job.

"Mom, life's about making mistakes and correcting them. It's not about being right because there's always a mistake in something."

I looked at him in awe. I was searching through coat pockets coming up empty, here was a pocket of truth. Then quickly, hold that thought. One thing I never lose is scrap paper and pens- I pulled open the junk drawer and got to scribbling. This was brilliant, I never remember brilliant.
The next dispensing words of wisdom to his little Mom.

I wrote his truism down as fast as I could.

"Wow. Colbert that is so... plus to be so young as you to think that, articulate it and share it with me..."

"You shouldn't worry so much Mama," he said. But in a hairpin turn I had gone from planning his coronation to skeptic.

 "Who'd you hear that from?" I chided. "Spongebob or iCarly?"

"No one Mom," he said. Still in his quiet voice. I felt bad, cheating him, cheating our moment. "I'm sorry Bruss, well," I sighed as I read his words again-clinging to the permission they gave me to try again...Life's about mistakes and correcting them, it's not about being right because there's always a mistake in something. "I love that Colbert, that is exactly right," I said. "So was it me? Did you get that from me?" Hehe.

Hard core love
I fastened his words with an inspirational magnet by Emerson, thinking Emerson who? Colbert in the hiz. I studied the sentence again. "I can't see the wrong in that."

"Ohhhh, Mama." He shook his head while looking down, (he joked, serious time was over), poor womanyou've so much to learn. "Someone will babe, someone always will."

Babe. Babe?!








No comments: