By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Astronomy Lesson

A snippet from the day that I thought was pretty cool/ironic/funny.

True story. Tonight around 7pm.

"Mama, come quick!" Julian, the three year old hollers from somewhere not in the tub where he is supposed to be with me and Colbert, almost six.
Luckily, I find him. (dry humor, bc our house is not big.)
"You rang?" I asked.
"Mama look!" he said, standing naked by his bedroom window. I come up behind him.
"The sun made the sky red," he whispers, in a voice that could be the cutest thing I've ever heard and an expression to match.
"Yes," I said.
"Why it be's like that?" he asked. "Why the sun do's that to the sky?"
"That's the sun doing what it does," I said. "It's called a sunset."
"It do's that everyday?" he asked.
"Yup, whether we watch or not, or like it or not, the sun is doing her thing." I said. I can't grasp science so I attempt profound.
"Like me, Mama." he said still looking at the sky "I do mine."
"Yup." I said. Containing myself. "And I do...mine."
"Can I see Mama, can I learn?" Colbert comes in, a wet noodle from the tub. These are words I've never heard him ask, I don't want to lose momentum.
"Sure, look." I said. "It's the sunset."
"It's beautiful red." Colbert said.
We are having a moment like real people. It's almost like walking through a gallery with cohorts. I almost don't recognize them as my children. It's surreal in a way.
"Yup, we were saying that the sun is just like people. We are what we are whether anyone watches us or likes us or not. We could beg the sun all day not to rise or set but it will. We simply be what we are."
 "Colbert be's a jerk." Julian said. Here it comes, "And you, Mama."
Zing.
"Sometimes, sometimes we can all be jerks." I said.
"I not! I not a jerk!" He screams and starts a sweltering meltdown shattering our reverie.
Thar she blows.
"No, shhhh, of course not. Just me and Colbert." I said, eyes up to heaven, I wink at Colbert.
"Julian's a big fat jerk." Colbert adds.
 "Okay, Let's get your pajamas on." I said. "And no more name calling or you'll both be on the naughty step."

Said the sun to her sons.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Awww! So cute and hilarious!! Love you all!
xoxo