By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Collection

Cleaning out my old bedroom.  Top dresser drawer, pictures, key chains, costume jewelry, letters, everything addressed to Sue McMahon, my maiden name. Then, address books, a Filofax. I take a look in one of the address books, it has the characteristics of Latter Day Saints women, its Laura Ashley floral and puffy and it ties with a satin ribbon, like their dresses and hair.  I look under C to see if a certain C is there, it seems I put the D's where the C's should have been. Chris Dunne and an address at Fairfield University. It's his handwriting, he put his address in there, probably at a high
school graduation party. I'm happily surprised but it's bittersweet. I can't remember that I ever wrote him. We were more acquaintances in the collective of a big group of middle and high school friends than penpals.

Was it Septemeber 11th? or 12th? Beth's house, she and her husband Alex have an open house for anyone who want to be together in the wake of the attacks. Lists of names of people missing come in. We're from a white collar commuter town. The lists are long. Chris Dunnes on one, he was in one of the towers, along with a bunch of others. Friends seem optimistic in an eyes glazed frenzied sort of way. I go to the bathroom and get sick.  When I look in the mirror I think that my body knows something my brain can't comprehend.

Years earlier, (or was it just one year earlier? just months?) Beth and Alex's wedding. I wear a navy and white striped sleeveless Ralph Lauren full length dress and a broad rimmed white hat with navy sash. I think I look like a knock out, KO. Walking into the ceremony I see my friends mom, I know she gets a kick out of me and my hat. We both start laughing as much as you can in church. I step into a pew, Chris Dunne and Jimmy Horn are standing behind me.
"Looking good Sue..." Jimmy said.
"Why thank you, Jim" I reply with a wink. I think I notice Chris snicker so I squint at him and turn around.

I spend the rest of the ceremony imagining my own wedding.
"Do you Susan Marie, take James Horn..."
"You bet I do." The congregation laughs, our wedding is upbeat, we're a blast. My hat's a veil.

Later at the reception, a tremendous summer evening, cocktails at sunset on the lawn of a mansion. Chris Dunne saunters over.
"Thought I saw you giving Jim the eye in church." He said.
"Thought I heard you laughing at me."
"Yeah, I whispered to Jim, "Someone tell McMahon to get the collection basket off her head." He said.

My eyes turned to slits, even though I'm laughing inside. Bottom line, nothing is less sexy then calling a female by her last name especially when her last name ends in the sound "man." And turning my fab hat into a collection basket... There goes being Mrs. Horn.

"Good one." I call, "Bartender!"

No comments: