By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Friday, January 20, 2012

Cashmere Remix!

Book- I Like You; Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris
Song: Love You Like a Love Song by Selena Gomez

Did I say I'd never do another post with pictures and a project? Ah, seems the second I say "never" I am determined to "once again"!  So here goes it.

How to turn a moth eaten cashmere sweater, (but you could substitute anything you have no more use for in your closet, wool, felt, silk, Brillo? BRILLO? Why on earth would anyone have a Brillo sweater? That's just silly, and not cozy at all. Anyway.

I found five sweaters this year eaten by moths. Not shredded but just enough tiny festering holes to render them useless. Egads! 

I immediately thought of my dear friend Marie Claire in Sonoma, CA who makes incredibly beautiful blankets out of cashmere. Unfortunately, on my list of many dreaded tasks, is going to the post office. So these guys have been packed up and sitting on my dining room table for months. Sorry MC! Then I saw this (see photo of Christmas pillow). I was about to chuck it into the Christmas bin with all the other holiday crap. When I discovered an opportunity. Why not take this (see picture of husbands yellow cashmere sweater, larger than baby Henry), and create a cashmere pillow cover ala Ralph Lipshitz Lauren? Ah? I know! I'M A GENIUS!! IIIIIILUVAPARADE!

Okay, So find a pillow you wouldn't mind covering and whose size you like and slip your sweater over it to test it out. The bottom of the sweater is finished so you can use that as one end. I tied the arms around the back to get a better idea, when you finish it you can use a different fabric for the back, like a heavy cotton, flannel or burlap could be cool, just remember not Brillo, unless...anyway. I liked what I saw, and have plans to take it to my local tailor and get it sewn up. But if you're inclined slide a thread into the hole of a needle and do it your own darn self! This would be nicely finished with horn buttons, a simple invisible seam, or hell, get your man involved and put duck tape for an industrial feel;) You may even want to add a monogram, center a large letter of your last name perhaps? Ah? 
Here you have it. 
Final Score. Moths- 0 Me-1. Game. Over.  Marie Claire the rest are yours! And this time I mean it. Never. Again. Good Week!! xxoo!

1 comment:

Marie said...

Love it! It is SO Ralph Lauren looking! Now send the darn sweaters my way! Just kidding, maybe this lead will lead to more projects for you:)
xoox