By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Smart Cart

Song: Good Feeling, Flo Rida

     I thought tonight that so much changes every day that the only thing I can count on is my kids peeing in the tub. Not sure if that revelation will stick, but I thought it was kinda cute. Wink wink. Let's arm wrestle.

NEXT! A partly fictional anecdote.

    Today, while online at Costco, a man who appeared to be in his sixties began chatting with me.
   
     "I am not fond of the winter." He said.

     "Yeah, it's pretty cold." I said.
   
     "Not the cold, the dark." He said.
   
      "Hmm. That too."
   
     We moved our carts forward, the line was long. But I didn't feel in a rush.
   
     "I suffer from clinical depression. It's worse in the winter."
   
     "Ah."
 
     "But yesterday I felt a burst of good feeling," He said, putting a body size bag of toilet paper on the conveyor belt. I smiled. He was charming. "I told my wife to call the doctor. She said, don't worry it'll pass."
   
     I laughed with him.
 
     "It gave me hope though, and before I knew it, I had another good feeling." He said. He had on a light brown cashmere sweater, plush and soft, inviting like an ad for carpet cleaner or grandparents, if they were for sale.
   
     He was now separating himself from his cart and positioning it on the side of the cashier while I put my own larger than life purchases on the same conveyor, our items divided by a foot long red plastic stick. He came over to help me with a large bottle of Tide. He didn't make a face like it was heavy but I could see a vein in his neck strain. I should have felt bad, but I didn't.
   
     "I think if I can string enough of these feelings together, I might have what one would call a good mood." He said.

       "You are so smart." I said, laughing.
   
    Then he took the bottle of Tide and swung it at my head, I ducked.  Just kidding. But wouldn't that have been funny?
   
     Really he just finished packing his cart with the check out guy and then walked away.

Good week!! xx
   



Please leave a comment here. Thanks!

No comments: