By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Bj's and Baggage

Song - Everybody Wants to Rule The World by Tears For Fears - heard it on the radio today... lyrics are on point! The video? So bad it's greAt.

So.  Yesterday I went to BJ's an unfortunate name for a wholesale supply store...but whatever.  I had to buy diapers and wipes- then I bought a bunch of other stuff I didn't need but picked up because what the hell that's what we do- one of them an eight pound bag of organic cat food. It's not that I don't have a cat and bought the food- that would be super weird... I'm just medium weird :D No it was that the cat has enough food and he doesn't like kibble so...no need.  Still I rationalized that if I could get him to eat kibble, no more disgusting wet, smelly clumps of cat chow for us and it's eight bucks...organic...

After unpacking while scrambling around to answer all the calls to "mama"- I sprang up the stairs into the bathroom.  Standing there was Henry trying to pull himself up onto the sink.  I reached to help him and realized- only then- that I was carrying the eight pound bag of cat kibble.  You would think an eight pound bag is not that heavy, it's eight pounds.  Trust me, it's very heavy! There are no handles, it's dead weight, I latched onto the little bit of room I could grip from the top of the bag and hauled.  Still, I wasn't aware that before I was rushing up to do the next thing that I hadn't put it down.  I ran up the stairs and realized amongst other things that I was carrying an EIGHT POUND BAG OF CAT KIBBLE! That I didn't need.

Now I know this may seem a glaring example and an obvious one-for putting down the weight we carry but when I dropped it with a thud to the ground- I felt not relief in my arm, but pain.  My forearm was sore and so were my fingers- from the death grip I had on the bag- it took about ten minutes with some stretching to feel normal.  Mentally- I felt like an idiot.  How could I have carried up that heavy bag and not known it?  But I moved through that quick enough for the circumstance and got to the spiritual.  Spiritually, I felt...aha! This can be a blog post! Just kidding.

A great reminder- this time a physical one- of how much stuff we carry around that we don't need.  And the realization that putting it down makes us lighter, but still it takes time to heal.  As well as the ever important need to stay present.

I knew I didn't need the cat food from the beginning. But I hopped on board!  Then when I was busy rushing around unconscious, (but thinking I was conscious), not only was I carrying the bag around with me- I was hurting myself!

So if you are made aware of your own baggage- physical, emotional or mental- thinking, "Why did I invest in that relationship? Property? Business? Kibble?" and then once aware think of why you invested in the first place (eight bucks, organic:0) or you get to the blaming anguish of  "Why didn't I know?"

Just give yourself a break.  We can only know what we know when we know it.  Put it down with a thud, stretch yourself out and try try try to get to the spiritual lesson so you can use it to heal and move on.  Simple right? If only.  If only all my lessons could be learned and accessed as easily as kibble- but maybe they can- maybe that's another message- that our kibble is as complicated as we choose to make it.

What do you have a death grip on today that you could let go of in order to heal? Tell me about your proverbial kibble...can you count the number of times I used the word kibble? hah-I'd love to hear <3

No comments: