By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Friday, February 22, 2013

"I'm a bad guy but I'm not a BAD guy"

Song- You May Be Right- Billy Joel
           Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio
*Please click on the hyperlinks- they are in a different color type than the rest of the print and link to articles and clips of what I'm referencing.  It takes too long to explain all of the backstories-the links are there to serve that purpose. Enjoy!
                                                                 ******

I'm not sure if it is because Bobby being obsessed with Jesse James was my favorite Brady Bunch episode or if it's because I used to love stories about the mob but how about that heist?!

Hello, awesome.

My friend Jen Tully said it best when I texted her asking if she liked it.

"What's not to like?" Totally.

Two cars, eight drivers, five minutes= 50 million in uncut diamonds.  Blood diamonds, right?  No one was hurt, the passengers of the plane they raided didn't even see it. The heistys drove out through a hole in the fence in the dark of night.  See ya!

It should be wrong but it's so right.

At thirteen I was obsessed with the Holocaust. The atrocity, Anne Frank, we must have read her diary in school then- the wrong was very clear.  At sixteen I loved mobsters, Good Fellas and my Italian boyfriend-the wrong was less clear.  Then in my early twenties I loved Jim Morrison and his whole crazy mess-whiskey, inciting riots and Nietzsche- more right then wrong. Then I was into The Beats and being "mad" for life.  I actually walked around with the portable beat reader in my knapsack, I used Jack Kerouac as a goal post, auditioned for The Actors Studio with a piece from it- (weirdo alert)- it felt alright.

So as I aged I shook my like of wrong.  Mostly.  I think that's the point of my trip down what I liked lane...very hard to concentrate at the mo.

But let's cycle back to that Brady Bunch episode.  I remember clearly loving Bobby and his obsession with bandit Jesse James. The thought, "Wow, squeaky Bobby's not so annoying afterall."  Then Mr. and Mrs. Brady were explaining long and hard to Bobby that Jesse was a bad guy and how wrong it was that he idolized him. You're killing the whole episode.  Get back to the hold-ups. You're holding up the hold-ups!  "Zip it, Carol."

I just watched this YouTube clip of the episode.  I can't remember how old I was when I first saw it,  (I watched it in syndication), but man does memory have a way of distortion. Definitely see now that Carol and Mike were on to something. I paraphrase, "Have to be careful who you choose to be your hero." True dat, Mike.  Nice rack, Carol.

This weekend we were in Washington DC for a visit- after we saw all the monuments- and all of the armed guards- it was time to retire to Hotel Sofitel. A plush French establishment that offered movies On Demand.  What should we order? Kids in tow,  it was Wreck It Ralph for us.  Very good. Ralph is a bad guy in a video game trying to prove that he is actually a good guy trapped in the role of bad guy. One of my favorite lines is in the beginning of the film, when he is at a Bad-anonomous meeting, (delivered from another not bad guy), "I"m a bad guy, but I'm not a bad guy."

Now that I have a certain grasp of right and wrong- why do I love the heist? Maybe it's because of what my mother-in-law said in her Persian accent when I asked her if she liked it- "Oh, that nice one- where no one was keeled?" Yes, that one. The one where no one was keeled.   The nice heist.

They're bad guys but that doesn't mean they're bad guys.  Who knows maybe they are...have to catch 'em first.  Zip it, Carol.


No comments: