By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Friday, June 28, 2013

SpunkerFLY Woman of The Month of June

Song: Another Love by Tom Odell (irrelevant to post- just cool song*)


*I am still working out the kinks of this new SpunkerFly person of the month feature.  Please bare with me.  I sent our prospect a list of 5 questions and then followed up with two more.  I would like it to have a more conversational feel- but with time being hard to come by- this seemed to be the best strategy.  Happy Independence Day!!  I hope you enjoy learning a bit about what it means to be in a democracy on the local level this month with help from our SpunkerFLY woman of the month, Laura Curran.  God Bless America!

Congratulations on your nomination for Nassau County Legislature! What an honor to know you.  And thanks for being my friend even though I know nothing about what you're doing and claim no political affiliation, I'm a GDI:)  So fill me in.  What will be your role once nominated? 

Laura Curran for Nassau County Legislature (5th LD)

 Thanks so much for your good wishes, and for letting me discuss my candidacy on your excellent blog. I am running for Nassau County Legislator. The district I'm running to represent (the 5th LD) includes Baldwin and parts of Freeport, Rockville Centre, Merrick, Oceanside, and South Hempstead. The seat is open, meaning there is no incumbent, so I will be spending much of the summer and fall talking and listening to as many of the district's residents as I can.
You're very welcome! So in specific terms what does your position entail? Obviously, I don't mind sounding ignorant.  Is it maintaining/pushing traffic laws? Garbage pick-up? Paving streets? School budgets? Zoning? Taxes? Still can't say I know what the job entails... please explain.  

This is such a great question. There are so many layers of government, I think people have a hard time keeping track of who's in charge of what. You may know who your representative in Congress is, but not your state senator, your state assemblyman, your county legislator, your town councilwoman -- and who to call when the sewer backs up.

To answer your question, the Nassau County Legislature is made up of 19 elected officials, representing different parts of the county. They work with the county executive (kind of like the county's "mayor"), and are responsible for guiding and approving the county budget, which includes funding for the county jail, county roads, the county police department and fire commission, county parks and museums, social services provided by the county, the partial funding of Nassau Community College -- anything the county does. 

But it can get a little complicated. In Rockville Centre, for instance, you have a Village police department, but the county police are responsible for detective services in RVC. Next door in Baldwin, which does not have its own police department, the county is in charge of all police services. 

Legislators can also write bills that may turn into laws, such as the recent one forbidding sale of tobacco to anyone under 19. If elected, I would also be in touch with constituents daily, helping them solve problems, advocate for the communities in the district, and make sure people in need get the services they are entitled to. 

Legislators are also in a position to create a vision for the county, about the direction we should be taking, and then take the concrete steps to help that vision become a reality.

What do you need to get the position? 
My goal is to meet as many people as possible, and share my vision for our wonderful, diverse district, and for Nassau County. 

Would you mind sharing a little bit about yourself? How did you get to Baldwin? Where did you go to college? Did you have a profession before kids? 

I graduated from Sarah Lawrence College in 1989, and landed a reporting job at a small newspaper in Brooklyn. I was hooked. I moved on to become a reporter at New York Daily News and the New York Post, covering education, politics, crime -- you name it -- and was often among the first reporters at breaking news scenes. It was a great gig. Every day was different, every day I learned something new.

How did I get to Baldwin? I settled here with my soon-to-be husband in 1997. After a childhood of moving from city to city, I knew I wanted to put down roots and stay put for a long time. We actually bought the first house we looked at. It was the front porch that got me. (I'm a sucker for a great porch, and three kids later, we're still in that same cozy house.)

 Nice! How do you find balancing being a mom and having a job? 

As any mom -- working outside the home or not -- knows, it is a juggling act. I expect to be even more busy now that I am a candidate, but am very lucky. My husband is extremely supportive, I have helpful in-laws who live nearby, and wonderful neighbors who are pitching in. It really is a team effort.

In my mind most politicians were people who were constantly barking about over the issues and although I know you are a disciplined, dedicated and conscientious person - you are also about as light and fun as they come.  Yippee!  So am I wrong to think you are an anomaly? Or are you like the Google of politics.  "Google was to corporate culture as Laura Curran is to local politics."  

Well, I am flattered! In local politics, people want leaders who can fix problems, not get mired in political name-calling. I think I am reasonable person, willing to work with anyone -- regardless of party -- to solve problems.

This is fun, but I'm (manically) thinking it might be more fun to interview you on a couch Oprah-style (tissues, tears, laughs, lights) could be a nice five year plan:D  Where do you see yourself in that time? 

In five years, my oldest girl will be off to college. You will be on the best-seller list. As for me, I love public service (I currently serve on the Baldwin School Board), so I hope to be continuing to serve however I can!

Fingers crossed. Thank you so much for your time and service, you are FLY.

Thank you! xo

No comments: