By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Friday, July 12, 2013

Will this day be the good old days?

Song:  These Are The Days - Natalie Merchant, of course:)

"In lots more days will this day be the good old days?" Julian asked.  It was morning.  He was standing next to my face.  Looking into my closed eyes.  I could feel him, his tiny voice piercing through my dream.
How come Mama's the only mom in the pool?

"Yep," I whispered.

I was laying in bed- part looking up at the ceiling- part watching Danny walk around getting himself dressed- trying to determine how badly I didn't want it to be time for another day.  How badly I wanted to stave off daylight .vs. getting up and starting the whole monotonous routine over again.  Sundress.  Keys.  Sunglasses.  Pack snack and water bottle.  Sign Permission Slips.  Get in car.  GET IN THE CAR.  Smile.  Nod.  Yes.  Hi.  No, we're going to get haircuts, maybe tomorrow? Ok, text me.  Hi. Oh, haha. Well, dresses are just easy.  Back in car.  Music.  NPR.  Need to write.  Music.  Feed them.  Yell at them.  Nap them.  Pick them up.  Go places.  Answer questions.  They really are cute.  Eat toes.  Listen to their giggles.  Pull them off of each other.  Wash them.  Didn't write.  Read.  Go to bed.

Just smile and pretend its not happening:D
I wanted to stave off daylight pretty badly, like pull the covers over my head and disappear for two days- badly.  The angle of my neck felt familiar- I had a flash of myself laying belly up in the kiddie pool the Saturday before- it was boiling hot and I had not an ounce of pride left.  I used to agree - "wearing sweatpants was giving up." But lying in the kiddie pool, sure to be glowing flourescent from waste by dinner time, was waving the white flag for sure.  No one cared.  No one was on the other side of my battle.  It was great actually.  Laying there, little chub rocks (toddlers) jumping over my legs.  The water more swished than splashed-they had so little air between the water and the top of their limbs.  No, I didn't move.  I let them walk around me.  I texted my mom on the way back down to the beach, she said, "I used to do the same thing, those were the days."  Kiddie pools are in our gene pool.

It didn't make me feel any better or worse about it.

"In how many days will this be the good old days?" Julian asked again.  "Will yesterday and tomorrow be good old days too?"

"This day and the days around it will be the good old days," I said, sitting up. "You are so smart thinking that.  I love that you think like that."

I reached for him and he let me kiss his curly brown hair.  It smelled like everything.  I couldn't get close enough to the smell.  I practically sniffed the hair off of his head.  He rolled into my face.  Then he hit the wall.   The wall of smotherly affection.  Ha. Ha.  It makes me laugh every time.   It's fun to be annoying.

"Get off of me!" he screamed, like I was a pedophile.

The good old days.  I'm nostalgic already.  I really am.  I know that all of this is going too fast.   Good thing about the good old days is they keep coming.  More and more new good old days.  I just burst into tears.  Just kidding:D

Coming up SpunkerFLY woman of the Month of July Katie Barbatsuly owner of Moffet Home.

No comments: