By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Friday, August 16, 2013

Sole Man


"What is the white part of this sneaker stuck onto the blue part here- for mama?" Julian asks.

"It's the sole, the sole of the sneaker." I say.

"Why do you need it?" he asks.  Looking at how the rubber connects to the cotton body of his favorite sneakers.

"Because without it your feet would hurt," I say. "They'd be walking on the ground with no protection."

"Like the soul inside your body?" he asks.

"I was thinking the same thing!" I say.

"Because if you had no soul everything your heart stepped on would hurt."

I have to think about that, it crosses my mind that if I had no soul, life might presesnt me with the opposite effect.  I wouldn't care or be hurt by anything.  But maybe I'm confusing soul with conscience? Or maybe he meant if you had no soul you would be the one to hurt everything you stepped on...hmmm. That makes more sense to me.  Either way I love the poetic way he figures.  His matter of fact explanations fill me with his middle name, Wonder.  He does that, he always makes me wonder.

What do you think? If you had no soul would everything your heart step on hurt? 

Lmk! I think the comment section is working now...give it a shot, I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Thanks, SS

No comments: