By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Souther

So. I love the east coast but up here in the north it's June and I'm still recovering from the worst winter ever. Some days it feels like it may still be winter. Danny barely plugged in the airconditioners before we were hit with a coldsnap. Plus we're busting out of our cozy little abode. With eyes a squinto, I recently made it to the bathroom at 3am only to find my five year old on the VIP seat, "I need privacy mama." He said. For the love of saltines. Did I mention I was 39 weeks pregnant at the time? I need my own bathroom. Time to roll.

We've been contemplating moving souther. You may have noticed I slipped a "y'all" into my first post. There was nothing haphazard about my choice of words, I chose carefully. I was gettin' into the southern groove y'all! Listening to Garth Brooks, Randy Travis and John Turner on my Pandora, thinking about trying grits,  putting a shot gun on the pickup, if we had a pick up, waving a confederate flag, hell, I burned a cross on my front lawn just to get into the spirit of thangs. My neighbors were so confused. What? Did I go too far? I'm ready to save twenty thousand dollars in taxes while existing in nothin' but flipflops and a sundress.

We went down to Charleston, SC last weekend to get a lay of the land. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it totally surpassed that. I have never met such friendly people! And good looking! Now, that is not a combo easy to come by. (that's why people are always shocked when they meet me...elbow, elbow). We were 'Yes, Sirred', and 'Yes, M'ammed' and it was all sweet, none sinister. You know if some one dares to M'am me up here I'm staring the devil out of them. But its not like that. People are not looking to call you a hag.

Downtown is as charming as a cat in a hat with a baseball bat. It also felt international. While waiting outside for our table at brunch, we had a brilliant chat with a couple on holiday from London. Another couple visiting their doctor daughter from Michigan (ok not exactly Spain) gently got our attention during brunch and referred me to the hospital down the street so I could be treated for what turned out to be acute bronchitus, *i'm always sick with something. The staff at the hospital were in no rush, but still I was in and out in under an hour and had a full perspective on schools and neighborhoods, (and a z-pack). The doctor that treated me lived in the village we flew down to scope, I'on Village. UM...can you sing Heaven Is a Place On Earth? Please don't. But seriously, it's gorgie porgie. It's not cheap though. I thought we could move down south and live like kings, but after talking to anybody who would, (and they all will because they're so nice), we discovered that most people commute by plane to work in order to make the kind of money you need to live there. And my bubble burst all over my crabcake and grits.

It's an easy enough commute, an hour and twenty minute flight.  But we can't live without our Danny boy four days out of the week. So, looks like I can take the cardboard out from between the dishes, they won't be broken in a move and keep my boots within reach. More snow and taxes for me...and late night competition for the VIP seat. Oh and the two other incidentals, friends and family are here too:)


***This is kind of unfolding, signish- when we got back to LGA, deflated, I was thinking about Robert Richard Wright that maybe he's right, I'm meant to stay in new york to pursue my "gift", when my eye landed on the license plate on the car parked across from us. freeeeky.

**i'm watching Love Story on OWN right now, the best.

No comments: