By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Unfolding

 SO.  In my last post I said the next steps will unfold. What skat! Nothing has unfolded. I have no idea what to even write about. Well, Weiner stepped down, no more weiner roasts.  Yikes. Well, something in the arena of unfolding may be occuring, not sure if I’m getting signs. Does life really wink at you? I may need the kind of wink that’s more like a kick in the cro...calf.

I mentioned that I recently had a baby. Eight days after that my dad died. He had been sick in the hospital for nine weeks, but it was shocking. I feel pretty okay though, I think. I’m not sure if I’m accepting and adjusting or hallucinating.

The night my dad died I couldn’t sleep. I put on the TV and Jimmy Fallon’s show was on, crazy because I had never seen it and I remembered that years ago my dad had coached Jimmy on how to be a detective in the movie Taxi.

I was studying under the one and only Susan Batson at Black Nexxus, her acting studio, when she asked if any of us knew a former detective that could help her friend with a role. I volunteered my dad, John G. McMahon retired NYPD sergeant detective. They got in touch, discussed payment and later I found out the friend was Jimmy Fallon and the movie was Taxi costarring Queen Latifah. Pretty cool. My dad worked with Jimmy for a couple of days, he came into the city to meet with him, (I so wanted to watch and introduce myself but chickened out, what was I thinking?)  When the movie came out there was a promo on television my dad and I were in the kitchen, he told me that not only did he never get paid for the job but he got two fat parking tickets.  I felt bad. He said Jimmy was a really “nice kid”, he did it thinking it could help me get somewhere and the experience, he wouldn’t have mentioned it except that it occurred to him while watching the commercial. I felt worse. He was doing me a “flavor” as he called it and I didn’t even follow up.

So the night my dad died I couldn’t sleep and by accident watched Jimmy Fallon’s late night show for the first time, it was really funny. Alec Baldwin was on, they did a skit about a doctor with mannequin hands. I thought I could do a skit like that. I should contact Jimmy and get on in exchange for my dad’s help. This may have been a sick thought. But I’m in the headspace/fog between life and death and it felt serendipitous. Let's go with that. I tried tweeting Jimmy Fallon but you can only use so many words and my tweets sounded something akin to a ransom note.  With an economy of characters in mind I may have written Pay Up. That was seven weeks ago.

Tuesday for the first time since my father died I couldn’t sleep again. I watched Jimmy.  Betty White, hilarious. They played Password, the word was Frankfurter, Betty asked “Do you know Frankfurter?” “Sure, I know the whole Furter family, Gina, Kenny, they’re great.”  Then he starts interviewing this Nascar champ, they start reminiscing about the time they were in the movie… Taxi together!

I don’t know guys.  I feel as though I need to do something about this? Is this part of the unfolding? What do you think? And what do I do? I do a mean Rosie Pope. I put it up on youtube. She's kind of as ancient as Taxi is, in reality show years, but...whatevs. Her "accent" confused me to distraction. I had to get it down.

Just realizing that this Sunday is Father’s Day, I didn’t write this with that in mind, like I said it was off the cuff. Maybe that’s a sign too. Happy Father’s Day Johnie G. Love you forever.

Peace!

No comments: