By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Song- Start Me Up - Rolling Stones
GO BIG BLUE! That was me, chanting with the fans at Metlife stadium-Sunday Dec. 30th 2012, dressed for the 20 degree chill factor-in the crowd-with my family, like I did it every Sunday.  I thought I hated football.  And I knew I hated one thing more than football-football jerseys.  Gag me.   Nuh- uh.  I was enthralled.  The mighty fans. A sea of blue.  My two little guys chief amongst them.  But let's back up, because the game really starts at home.

My four and a half year old son Julian has a play date with his friend Jack.  It's their first playdate and Jacks first at our house, so...I guess they wanted (like males with members do) to show some plumage.



After they chucked their coats on the floor about three feet from the hooks I asked them to place them on- this dialogue happened:

"I have goldfish," Jack who is at least a head taller than Julian said, "two died and they're in fish heaven."

"I'm going to go put on my Bronco's Jersey," Julian said, a bucket of compassion. "I wear my Jets jersey to school (he pointed to his shirt),  put my new Bronco's jersey on after." He took two steps and then turned around and said. "Oh yeah, I have a Giants jersey too."



He left before he could hear Jack say, "We might get a couple more fish."

"That's great Jack!" I said,  in a "I'm here for ya bud!" voice. "I hear goldfish heaven is a swell place..."

But Jack had taken off for the basement which left me talking to the empty coats.  Wondering what the jersey just happened.  My son has become obsessed, singularly focused on football.

Christmas morning with the wrapping paper strewn all around the room- not a gift left to open and by the looks of their faces - any joy left to be had- I tell Danny to look in his stocking.  He pulls out a small thin wrapped gift.  I am video-taping his expression as he unwraps and discovers 4 Giants Football tickets for the weekend.  NY Giants vs. Philadelphia Eagles.   My friend sold me her season tickets (plus parking pass) at a HUGE discount.  I had no idea who they were playing or anything- I just jumped at the offer.  I had just seen Silver Lining Playbook with my now oscar-nominated classmate Bradley Cooper-who played an avid Eagle fan. So that was a coincidental bonus.  (If you haven't seen it-it's honest, raw, beautiful-go.)  Danny is smiling but studying the tickets as if to be sure it isn't a gag gift. As if I would ever? Ok, I might. NO! I actually can't stand stuff like that, like, "Oh! You won the lottery!! Just kidding. We taped you. Be a sport-laugh."  And the victim looks like he's not only not set for life, but that he will never be able to trust a living soul again. No. That's just so weird and mean.

Danny was happily surprised (last time he gets a gift) but my two sons, Colbert (7) and Julian, were somewhere between ecstatic and combusting.  Anticipating their reaction bought me a blissful sleepless night.  That it matched my hope, well, as I watched I stepped inside it. Have you ever been inside of a dream come true?

The countdown began.

"How many sleeps Mama?" Julian asked.
"Five, Jule." I said.
He held his chubby little hand up.
"That's this many, right Mama?"
"Yep."
"UGH!" He'd stomp, "That's tooooo long!"
"NO!" Colbert interrupts. "No, Mom it's not."

He calls me mom now.

Miraculously, the day arrives.  The games at 1pm.  They start getting dressed when they wake up- at 6am.   Forecast- 20 degrees. Three pairs of socks, thermals, snow pants, turtlenecks, jackets, hats, mittens, scarves....and on top of it all? Jerseys.

Hell to the yeah.

What can I say? It was awesome. The thing is? I love a parade. Once, when we were living on Thompson Street there was a parade coming down the block. As I watched through my window I saw they were an angry assemble of hostile persons with signs and yelling and then it dawned on me...it's not a parade!! It's a protest!! Still, got me outta bed. I liked it. I like community and gathering- generally speaking.

Well, the crowd at MetLife Stadium was something to behold. The fans! Their energy and enthusiasm is like a tidal wave of adrenaline. Faces painted royal blue, guts hanging out, their favorite players numbers shaved into their heads- and that's the women;)

NY Giants were the home team and wouldn't ya know-there dared one lone Eagle fan dressed like a bird in our Giants midst and a Giant screamed, "GET OUTTA HERE YA TURKEY!"and The Bird looked at The Giant and then back at the field as if to say "I'm not going anywhere. Make me." It was so fun I forgot how cold it was. I hate the cold. HATE IT. But these guys were so fun I actually never felt cold. I like fun more than I hate cold. Jack and Jill went up the hill.  I write like a two year old.

Henry with his best friend Girlie 
One thing that was a bummer was Michael Vick on the field. Not only did he suck as a player- but he sucks because he is a dog abuser. Danny said, "Well, I'm not defending him -but he's done a lot of nice things since then and he got a dog." Oh! Well, I'm not judging him but he's a psychopath.  I try hard not to get into the business of judging,  but I feel like this is such a clear case.  Have you seen ID TV? Evil exists in the world.  I would do a lot of nice things too if I wanted my *40 million dollar a year job back.  That doesn't impress me. As for him getting a dog? That's like giving a kid to a pedophile. Who's allowing that craziness? There is no rehabilitating a human being who can engage in slaughter of innocent creatures. I had to put down our 13 year old family yellow lab a week after Hurricane Sandy, after struggling for months - she slipped in the Nor'easter and broke both of her hips- it broke my heart. I can't imagine getting pleasure or gaining in any way out of seeing a dog in pain.  UGH! I didn't want to get started, and I started. Now I'm upset and I haven't even mentioned the film The Cove yet- a must see. But back to my point-  Does the NFL need talent that badly? Aren't there a few hundred young men out there battling themselves, not dogs, to get into the game? Look a little harder at signing fella's - having a record clean of carnage not yardage should be a bigger part of the equation.

I get turned off by entertainers that get political, but whatever its my blog and i'll rant if I want too:) Next week- SHADES OF GREY!! No, it's not over.  In my house it's taking over...

*something like that







No comments: