By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Friday, September 13, 2013

I'll Tumblr 4 Ya!

Northern California
When I was young I loved old.  The older the better.  Colonials.  Tudors.  Heavy.  Old.  Paint so layered you could see generations through a chipped piece on the side of a fireplace mantel.  Moldings. MOLDings.  Crown, floor, ceiling.  That's all very nice.  Still not knocking it.  But ever since I gave birth to my first,  I've been bedazzled by new.  No, not by new- by modern.  Clean lines.  No need to spackle.  Little need to paint.  Unobstructed vistas.  Cozy interiors surrounded by windows.  Glass, glass and more glass. I'm into modern architecture right now.  I've been saying for years that my next house will be modern.  Now I'm wondering if I'll have a next house, but that's a different story.

Anyway,  I found this cool theory on water and design, ThinkTank and The Life Aquatech, I think it's a theory maybe it's a school of thought- in theory- anyway, it's a project by students studying architecture in London.  Maybe baby prince Georgie will be living in a swirl of pink fiberglass one day.  Swoosh.

http://www.designboom.com/architecture/thinktank-and-the-life-aquatech-water-generative-design/


Novato 
I found it on Tumblr, a friend introduced me to it last week and it's become my favorite spot.  So far it feels like the perfect mix of Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.  I'm so over Fakebook- I miss 2008, the glory days! Remember when it was all new and wild?  You'd get a friend request from someone you went to high school with - that you knew- and write long catch up letters, amazed (bedazzled) by the novelty.  Then it became squinting at a thumbnail, trying to piece together a name with 192 shared friends...who I also don't really know-bit of a bummer.  All I get is ads and I keep seeing the same people who hate each other in person loving each other on the books and it's like...um.  No.  I tried to use at as a way to practice compassion and patience but inevitably I'd end up irritated = no fun.  Boring, actually.  I do love it to pimp my blog :D I don't mind that a bit! Hehe.  I tried Linked In, thinking I'd get a freelance job and that it was safe- at least it was professional, no bikini shots or cranky kids over there but no anonymity either.  The next day when I got an email telling me who looked at my profile (names and times?!) I nearly had an anxiety attack.  Plus I "Linked In" to a bunch of people who I did not mean to Link into! I just meant to peak from afar not shake hands.  Horrible.  Good thing about Fakebook is you can kick back with a cold tea and get all up under a person- nones the wiser.  LinkedIn is blowing horns on you, announcing a stalker.  UGH.  So that was that for me.   Tumblr is all blogs.  You scroll through and find cool stuff and you can do your own as well.  It seems fun for now.   Although, now that I found it- it's probably over.  Check it out!

Parking lot in San Anselmo
Love the mountain views at market!! ^^^^^
Driving to the beach
Winding roads ahead! 
Back to our housing situation.  We put our house on the market ForSaleByOwner.com thinking it would sit and take effort which we were fine with and it sold in 6 days!  So, we are packing up and moving to California.  It's been a dream to get out of the cold winter months, amongst other things.  Finding a place in Northern California, San Anselmo is proving to be a challenge! Something is going out there.  I'm not sure what, but it is like the California Gold Mine- here, our house sold a pencil width under asking and fast- wicked fast- as my bostonian friend would say- but out there they are selling two hundred over asking and multiple offers.  The rentals are just as crazy and $$$$$.  Like $4500. for a two bedroom practically no yard.  I asked our realtor what the (&*^!) deal was and she said, "Since last year the sales prices have increased 24%." WHY?  "It's because we're happy! It's awesome here.  It's great weather, smart people, water and mountains, hiking, year round..." all stuff that hasn't changed since it opened and definitely not in the last three months, I pointed out.  Then she paused.  "Well, rates are going to jump up. And there's new tech in San Fran, lots of money people who want safe public schools." AH- HA!  So people are buying up to get in front of the rates.  I'm not sold on the 'money people'. .. don't they go private? I don't know the migrating habits of my own, less those of 'money people'.  However, I can get down with rates.  They are causing a feeding frenzy.  Rates are national so, I'm still not sure why California is having such a bigger boom.  Maybe because they fell so hard last cycle? Maybe it is the new tech companies? But I feel like tech in NoCal is nothing new.  Is it fun to listen to me work this out on the blog-haha- probably not...if any of you do know, please chime in...whatever it is... it's starting to feel like we are getting behind the velvet rope to gain entry into one of those silly clubs in NYC,  but it's not a club, it's our dream town. There is a lot of modern architecture! Oh well, maybe towns are just macrocosms of silly clubs.  Glass is hard to clean anyway...who cuddles near a free standing glass fireplace?! Raise my hand.  Generation after generation?! Raise other hand.

Have a great week 'people'! Join Tumblr!
Song: I'll Tumble 4 Ya- Culture Club 

No comments: