By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Sunday, September 1, 2013

SpunkerFLY Woman of August



Song: I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack 
SpunkerFLY Woman of August Dr. Christine Mullin MD
          Reproductive Endocrinologist, CHR North Shore LIJ 

Thank you so much for being the SpunkerFly Woman of the Month!  I am honored to have you as a guest on the blog.

Below you will find 5 questions designed to give readers an idea of what it takes to be a super-achiever.  I chose the word "idea" decidedly because after getting to know you a bit and asking you lots of questions- this detectives daughter is still not at all sure how you have nailed down the forensics of having both a loving family and an award winning practice.  But I do understand the energy behind your spirit- that life is short and meant to be lived. 


How we met: She called it stalking, I called it the kindness of my heart.  I saw a mother at my sons pre-k pick up with four kids under six who looked like she was pretty busy- so I asked her if she wanted to carpool.  She saw a stranger trying to give rides to her children.  When she asked which I'd prefer, taking or picking up, I got tongue tied.  Sure I was offering to help, but given the opportunity of staying in my pajamas longer felt hard to resist.  I forced myself to speak my truth, "I would like to pick up." There, I said it. "Oh, great. Mornings better for me because then I can go straight into surgery." Huh? I thought oh, snap, she has some kind of life threatening multi-surgical illness.  "Surgery?"I asked.  "I'm a surgeon." I nearly hit the pavement. "You're a doctor? Of course, you're a surgeon! Wow." Well, I was right, she was busy.  Discovering she was a surgeon on top of the mother to four kids under six -was part of my revelation that there was a whole lot more going on with this woman than nubby stretch pants and a limp pony tail:D What started as a carpool became a friendship.  I thought I was helping her but it turns out I helped myself.  I've come to admire that she never stops doing or thinking of others, all without soupy sympathy or sentimentality.  (I told you we were different.)  She is a study in "going for it."  Intrigued, I wanted to know more about her journey and how she got to where she is today- what makes her keep going without dragging or complaining.  This has not been an easy undertaking, Dr. Mullin is humble to a fault.  "We are in DC for the weekend, family trip," she said one Friday, I bought the "family trip" excuse.  Not the sexiest trip in the world-we did it ourselves just this year!  About a month later her husband mentioned  they went not for a family trip but because she was being honored with an award.  Another for instance, we were talking about sports once, she said she played Volleyball.  Cool! I later found out (from her husband) that she was an All- American and played for Boston College.  It's like that.  I like that.  She says she's not interesting, so I bet she will not like this tribute, but hey! Backstory is important.  We learn how we can get to where we want to be by following the footsteps of positive role models- whether we're 9 or 99. Dr. Christine Mullin, Reproductive Endocrinologist at North Shore LIJ is a role model.  I hope these questions aimed at revealing her path, will help us all move forward. 


1. How did you become a Reproductive Endocrinologist? Can you tell us a little bit about the road to your current position?   My road started in medical school. It was during my 3rd year rotation that I discovered my true passion. What better gift to give someone than a child. As a tumultuous of a road that it can be for some. I am truly blessed to be helping others on this journey. 

2. I understand you were torn before you decided to go to medical school.  How did you make your decision? Is there any advice you would want to share to people who are afraid to go for what they really want? My decision to pursue medicine was a difficult one as is for many women in my field.  There is a tremendous sacrifice and a struggle for balance between career and family. And ironically my concerns for sacrificing a family for career have helped me to understand the struggles of my patients as many of my patients are facing fertility issues due to the fact that they too delayed child bearing for their pursuit of their careers. I have my mother to thank for pushing me to pursue my dreams. She gave me inspiration through a song by Leann Womack, I hope you dance. Never settle for the path of least resistance..... And when you get the chance to sit it out or just dance, I hope you dance. 

3. That was a big risk for you, now that you deal with patients who themselves are contemplating taking a big risk is that something you empathize with them about?  Absolutely. I try to guide them in taking risks that will end in the best outcome for them and their partners. And in life I encourage my children and friends to take risks. It's normal to feel anxious about the unknown in every aspect of our lives. 

3.  Do you ever think of what your life would be like if you decided to stay a science teacher? It would have been much different but I wouldn't be where I am today if a didn't chose to dance and I am in a much better place now then I was 20 years ago.  
4.  So what was that award you won in DC?  Not an award really. It was a meeting at the *NIH to become a lead research investigator in my field. 
*NIH = National Institute of Health

          5.  So many of us get or stay stuck, what drives you to keep moving forward? What inspires you? 
I used to be self motivated and competitive with myself but now what motivates me is being a role model for my four children, especially for my daughter Grace. I want to make sure there are equal opportunities for her in life. 
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your story with us. I'm glad you danced then and continue to jump on every chance since.  You are FLY!! 

No comments: