By Susan Saraf

By Susan Saraf

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Four Agreements

Repost- Originally published July 7, 2011

I know I shouldn't because everyone is but I just can't not. Casey Anthony. I mean, seriously. I don't know if she did it or not, I wasn't there (seems that's where you needed to be in order to convict) but shouldn't her not caring, in fact partying for the MONTH she didn't know where her toddler was be punishable by...I don't know...death?! Or at least something? If I lost my child for twenty minutes, I'm telling everybody, I'm a bereft basket case,  not to mention a day! Thirty days! I'm not drinking, partying, posing for pictures with people in da club, like Holla! Let me rephrase that, if my neighbors kid was missing for a day, I'm not partying. I don't even think I could have a bar-b-que if my neighbors kid was missing, maybe after two weeks, but even then- am I turning the music up? Game time call. Criminal.

Oy. So in a world where family can be counted on to test our strength, coupons seem impossible to figure out and sociopaths roam free, here's what I read to gain peace and understanding:

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. His teachings are not easy to live by, but they can make living life easy.  (And if you can buy a few copies and get that dream to come true- that the people you want to change will take the hint - life is even easier!) Some genius said, Genius finds the easiest way to do everything. Go be a genius. Make your life easy easier.

These are the four agreements (he's also added a fifth...but that's... later.)

1. Be Impeccable With Your Word. (Use your words in the direction of truth and love. Your word can create heaven on earth but it can also create hell. Also silence is deadly. Be brave enough to show up and express yourself.)

2. Don't Take Anything Personally. ANYTHING, anything. Everything people do is because of themselves and their point of view. It's never about you. Someone calls you a terd, its about them, someone tells you you're a goddess (I get that alot), its about them. Someone doesn't call you back, it's about them (oh, no strike the goddess this is the one I get alot).

3. Don't Make Assumptions. (We don't know what is going on, ask questions instead of making assumptions.)
Sample conversation:

"You didn't call me back- what? You's think I have flee's?"
"No I was getting a haircut."
"Oh, so glad I asked ya's, how's it look?"
 "Decent."

4. Always Do Your Best. (You can't ask yourself for more than that.)

So this is my feeble summary, in no way do I do it justice (hey, I kind of feel like a Florida juror). But I hope I teased you enough that you buy the book, even if you use it once, its worth it.  Hint. Hint. <3

2 comments:

Marie said...

Brilliant! I love it! Some genius already turned me on to The 4 Agreements;)

Anonymous said...

can you add some more sample conversations? they help me understand, and they're always funny.